Museums, Logging, Historic Towns …
In addition to the beautiful scenery and activities on and around the Byway, there are historical sites and points of interest to visit as well.
Visitors to the Millinocket Historical Society (located downtown at 80 Central Street) will find exhibits and other collected history, literally a treasure trove of historical items including photographs and artifacts from the families, businesses and bygone industries of Millinocket. These historical elements provide a glimpse into what has shaped the town and its residents for over 150 years. Also in Millinocket is the Northern Timber Cruisers Antique Snowmobile Museum, most likely one of the largest collections of “old iron” in the Northeast. The oldest examples of the collection date from the early 1960s, and for the toboggan enthusiast there is even a 1943 Eliason Motor Toboggan!
Maine’s great age of logging is alive and well at the Ambajejus Boom House, located on Ambajejus Lake near Millinocket and Baxter State Park. Built in 1907, it is an historic logging facility and the only surviving structure associated with the great logging drives that drove the economy of inland Maine for decades. The building can be visited by boat from various launch points on Ambejejus Lake.
The historic town of Patten, Maine is home to the Patten Lumber Museum, a place to learn all about Maine’s long and widespread logging history. Visitors have the opportunity to learn about the use of bateaux on waterways to transport supplies, read the stories of the fearless river drivers, imagine what life was like inside a remote logging camp, and even find out about the role of bean hole beans for Maine loggers. While in Patten, families will enjoy visiting the Patten Historical Society filled with donated artifacts and photographs.
PATTEN LUMBERMEN’S MUSEUM
The Patten Lumbermen’s Museum invites visitors to learn all about Maine logging history, including the use of bateaux on waterways to transport supplies, the stories of the fearless river drivers, what life was like inside a remote logging camp, and even the role of bean hole beans. Learn More
MILLINOCKET HISTORICAL SOCIETY
The Millinocket Historical Society was founded in 1979 by residents Polly and Bud Segee with a mission to gather and preserve Millinocket’s history along with the artifacts that remind us where and how the town came to be. Learn more
PATTEN HISTORICAL SOCIETY
Located in downtown Patten near the Memorial Veteran Library, the Patten Historical Society offers a great overview of the history of the area. The museum is filled with donated artifacts and photographs. Seasonal. If closed during the season, go to the Library just up the street and someone will open it for you. Google Map Link
ANTIQUE SNOWMOBILE MUSEUM
The Northern Timber Cruisers Antique Snowmobile Museum is located adjacent to the Northern Timber Cruisers Snowmobile/ATV/XCountry Ski clubhouse and currently contains 36 antique snowmobiles. It is probably one of the largest collections of “old iron” in the Northeast. Learn more | Map
SHERMAN – “OLD ZACK” Pre-civil war canon
Just South of Patten on Route 11, take a small detour to visit the town of Sherman (incorporated in 1862). Behind the historic church, you will find both a War Memorial and “Old Zack”, a pre-civil war canon that was used for many years to tell people in the vicinity about big news such as victories, etc. Google Map Link
Ambajejus Boom House is located on Ambajejus Lake near Millinocket and Baxter State Park. The structure was used by river drivers during the logging process and today is a National Historic Register Property and a museum. Ambajejus Boom House has many logging artifacts related to the river drives that ended in 1971. Learn more
EAST MILLINOCKET VETERANS MEMORIAL PARK
A memorial park on the edge of town in northern Maine, commemorating the area’s fallen veterans. There are panels beginning with World War I and continuing through the present day. Learn more